Friday, June 01, 2007

Volunteering (And Everything In Between)

For a few weeks now I have been volunteering at Hope in the Development Office.

I have never truly felt committed to any "job" I've undertaken because I didn't believe in it. This is an obvious issue as I dislike any job I have after a short time. Finding it laborious, repetitive and ultimately pointless. Money is my only motivation to work. I'm sure this is a factor for a lot of people but all find a way to deal with the nine till five adventure. I'm yet to find a solution to this issue but I have found an exception.

Volunteering is a new experience for me and brings a lot of advantages and to-date no disadvantages. I "work" for Hope but with no absolute conditions. I can do as much or as little as I please but I enjoy getting the job done and finishing my own set goals. No boss breathing down my neck informing me of my minimum work amount or the feeling of being an expendable asset in the rush rush world of business.
The volunteering is its own reward. Not for what your doing or who for, it is setting your own goals and being free to be your own most honest judge.

Carnifex...

3 Comments:

At 06:22, Blogger Shem said...

It's a scam. I've heard some of these so called 'volunteers' don't even get paid...

 
At 21:00, Blogger RayM said...

Well I can assure you Shem that we wouldn't dream of paying our volunteers in this office. It's entirely against our principals to compensate people who have the audacity to do work for us! Why, it isn't as if we force them, now is it?

We try our damndest to get rid of them; We ignore them, force them to make the tea and have even been known to speak badly of them whilst they're within ear-shot. Even so there are those awkward few who despite this humiliation persist in hanging around the place and actually doing things to help. It's most disconcerting.

 
At 16:42, Blogger Shem said...

I saw a spray you can buy on the internet, maybe that'll help...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home